About the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks
The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks was founded “To promote and practice the four cardinal virtues of Charity, Justice, Brotherly Love and Fidelity; to promote the welfare and enhance the happiness of its members; to quicken the spirit of American Patriotism and cultivate good fellowship.” Read more about the Elks History here.
The Jolly Corks
The Order was established in New York City in 1868 under the name of the “Jolly Corks” by a group of 15 actors, entertainers and others associated with the New York theater.
Since then it has grown into
A fraternal order with hundreds of thousands of members and a 150 year history of continuing contribution to its members and to our country.
A network of nearly 2000 lodges in communities all over the country.
A charitable institution that each year gives millions in scholarships, that is an inspiration to youth, and that is friend to veterans and many others.
- Did you know that the Elks is not only for men? Women can also become an Elk!
At Lodge 1079, our members support the activities of:
- The Primrose Center https://www.primrosecenter.org/,
- The Down Syndrome Association of Central Florida https://www.dsacf.org/,
- Soldier’s Angels http://soldiers angels.com ,
- Turning 22 http://turning22.org/,
- The Edgewood Boys Ranch http://edgewoodranch.com/,
- The Veteran’s Center Orlando – Visual Impairment Services Team (VIST) https://www.orlando.va.gov/services/Social_Work.asp,
- and various other charities under the auspices of the Florida State Elks Association https://www.floridaelks.org/